Crisp bacon, sweet cranberries, cinnamon toast croutons, soft eggs and the ultimate maple vinaigrette combined for an awesomely different kind of breakfast. I’ve made this four times now (at the request of my 8 year old!) and even without the croutons, it is awesome.
Last month, I posted a recipe for a Bacon and Egg Garden Salad. I commented at the time that it made me wonder about a breakfast salad. I remembered pinning this recipe last year and I couldn’t resist trying it at last. I can not believe that I waited so long to make this!
Breakfast Salad with Cinnamon Toast Croutons
- Cinnamon Toast Croutons Ingredients:
- 4 cups of French Bread cubes
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Maple Vinaigrette Ingredients: as I usually say, a salad is all about the dressing and this one is fantastic!
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup light flavored olive oil
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Salad Ingredients:
- baby spinach leaves
- dried cranberries
- 1/2 lb of bacon cooked and crumbled
- eggs prepared to order
- Spread out the bacon on a large baking sheet and place in a cold oven. Turn on the oven to 400 degrees. When the bacon is cooked, remove from the oven and drain on paper towels. Crumble to the desired size.
- Spread the bread cubes out on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Combine the butter, cinnamon, sugar and salt. Drizzle over the bread cubes. Toss to coat. Bake for 5-10 minutes, just until toasted. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients and set aside. Cook the eggs to your liking. A couple of my kids wanted their salad with hard boiled eggs, I had mine over easy.
- Layer each plate with spinach, croutons, cranberries and crumbled bacon. Top with eggs and drizzle with the vinaigrette.