Sweet, buttery cake, filled with juicy blueberries is perfect for breakfast, for snacks, for dessert, for any excuse, or no excuse at all. This cake requires no glaze, no icing, no special topping, nothing else is necessary. It is one of the simplest cakes you can make with just six easy ingredients and it comes together in very little time.
The cake reminds me of coffeecake in texture, but it is much lighter than the typical heavier streusel versions. You’re welcome to glaze it or dust it with sugar before serving, but this cake truly stands alone. For a fancier dessert, I’ve topped it with Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream, but it is served (and snacked on) plain more of the time.
In the mood for something rich and chocolatey? Check out the Cold Chocolate Snack Cake and consider yourself warned. No one has ever had just one sliver. (There’s a reason we leave the knife in the pan with the cake!) If you’re more of a cheesecake lover, these bite-size Caramel Swirl Cheesecake Cupcakes are irresistible!
Check out all of the Gluten Free Dessert Recipes on this website!
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour * (see below for gluten free alternative)
- 12 ounces fresh blueberries about 2 cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With a mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar until slightly thickened and light in color, about 5-7 minutes. The mixture should almost double in size. The eggs work as your leavening agent in this recipe, so do not skip this step. This mixture should form a ribbon when you lift the beaters out of the bowl. Add the butter and vanilla; mix two more minutes. Stir in the flour until just combined. Add the blueberries and stir by hand to mix throughout.
- Spread in a buttered 9x13 pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until very lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. (43-45 minutes works great for my oven.) Let cool completely before cutting into small slices. I cut mine into fairly small pieces, about 1"x2", so that they could be easily eaten by hand. Enjoy!
* substitute the all purpose flour with the ingredients below for a gluten free variation:
1 1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum