Creamy goat cheese, spicy jam, salty ham, and peppery arugula are combined in the best ham sandwich you’ll ever eat. I typically pile the fillings on a long French baguette and then slice it into small finger sandwiches. However you make this, it won’t last long. I’ll be serving this ham sandwich for holiday get-togethers, family movie night, easy lunches, and snacks throughout the year.
This post is sponsored by The National Pork Board and this sandwich was inspired by my trip to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. On our last morning in Sioux Falls, Chef Neel built a similar sandwich while we were cooking up all the different pork recipes. I took one bite and knew I’d be making my own Best Ever Ham Sandwich after I returned home again.
My family can never get enough party foods and snack ideas, so this sandwich is perfect for us. I’ve made it twice now and my kids are already asking for “the fancy Ham Sandwich” again. You can make this on classic French bread, on a baguette, on hoagie rolls, on toast, on whole grain wheat bread, the possibilities are endless here. You can make the sandwich as hearty or as light as you like simply by adjusting the amounts of each ingredient.
Be warned that you just might sigh when you bite into this sweet and savory sandwich. If you’re a ham lover (or even if you’re not!) this sandwich deserves the name “The Best Ham Sandwich You’ll Ever Eat!”
I have a well-known love for ham and you can see that evidenced all over this website. Check out all of these ham filled recipes! Better Than Take-Out Ham Fried Rice, Ham Balls (just trust me here, there is nothing else like them!), Sweet and Sour Ham Ball Stir Fry (see last comment, I promise that once you try the ham ball stir-fry, you’ll be a fan too!), Ham and Cheese Waffles (grab and go or drizzle with syrup at the table), Ham and Vegetable Pasta Skillet, Balsamic Dijon Glazed Ham (I haven’t baked a different ham in over five years!), Ham and Cheese Biscuits, Slow Cooker Potato Ham Chowder and so many more great recipes.
- 1 French baguette about 30-36 inches
- 6 ounces whipped or extra creamy goat cheese
- 4-6 tablespoons spicy pepper jam
- 2 ounces arugula
- 1 pound deli ham sliced very thin
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise, forming two flat halves. Spread the goat cheese on each section of bread. Layer arugula on the bottom half and then ham over the greens. Fold and crumple the ham as you layer it on the bread. Form piles of ham across the bread to create the best texture.
- Spoon the jam over the goat cheese on the top half of the bread. Close the sandwich and slice into smaller sections. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: I’ve partnered with the National Pork Board to share this recipe with you. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.