I simply can’t get enough of all the fresh berries this summer! I’ve made this Balsamic and Basil Berry Salad at least twice a week for the past month. Fresh strawberries and blueberries are tossed in a very light balsamic vinaigrette and then sprinkled with fresh basil to make this light and summery fruit salad.
I like to make this salad right before serving it. However, any leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for a day or two. This salad is at its prettiest immediately after tossing it with the vinegar and oil. The berries will begin to soften after a few hours in the refrigerator. Still tasty, but not as nice for serving.
If I’m lucky enough to have any of this salad leftover, I like to toss it over plain yogurt with a little sprinkling of granola and call it breakfast or lunch. It’s my favorite late night snack too. Honestly, I can’t think of a meal that wouldn’t be made even more tasty with this salad on the table.
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries quartered or cut bite-size
- 12 ounces fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons traditional or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- optional 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 8 basil leaves sliced very thin
- Combine the strawberries and blueberries in a medium size bowl. Drizzle with balsamic and oil. Sprinkle with salt, and with sugar if desired. Stir gently to coat. Sprinkle with basil and toss once more. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to an hour. Enjoy!
Here are some more berry recipes you might like:
Berry Quinoa Salad by Two Peas and Their Pod
Triple Berry Frozen Smoothie by In Katrina’s Kitchen
Blueberries and Cream Ice Cream by Barefeet In The Kitchen
Slow Cooker Berry Crumble by Crazy for Crust
Mixed Berry and Basil Sangria by Foodie with Family
Chocolate Raspberry Brownies by Barefeet In The Kitchen
Grilled Chicken and Berry Salad by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Berry Bars by Texanerin
Berry Balsamic Chopped Salad by Taste and Tell