It was well over 100 degrees here today and a heavy dish just didn’t appeal. This was even better than I had hoped to find.
My entire family ate this for dinner and really liked it. I am already looking forward to making this again with different vegetables and possibly some meats as well. My non-squash-loving son even requested the leftovers for breakfast. I’m calling this a huge hit!
Baked Herb Zucchini
- 1/3 cup uncooked Jasmine rice
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini and other summer squash sliced thin
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup medium cheddar cheese shredded
- Combine the rice and water in a small pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the garlic, onions and squash for about 5 minutes or until almost tender. Season with the spices and mix in the tomatoes and cooked rice. Continue to cook and stir just until heated through. Transfer to a 1 ½ - 2 quart casserole dish and top with the cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Enjoy!