This is my newest favorite salad. I don’t do a whole lot of copycat recipes, but this one, I can’t even tell you how much this one needed to be made. This is a copycat recipe for Costco’s Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad. The crunchy greens, sweet-tart cranberries, and crunchy-salty pumpkin seeds are tossed in a creamy poppyseed dressing and it all works together to make this salad worthy of our Thanksgiving table, and likely at least a dozen more tables as well before the end of the year.
A couple weeks ago, while I was grocery shopping, there were two women standing in the icy cold produce room at Costco chatting about how amazing this salad is. I don’t even remember the last time I bought a pre-made salad, (I have a thing for making salads and rarely am I impressed with the store bought varieties.) but these ladies were so enthusiastic, I picked up a bag to try for myself.
Holy smokes. I loved it. Absolutely, positively, loved it. But I knew right away that we could improve on it. I’ve been making this poppyseed dressing for a few years now and every single person that tries it raves about it. So, I knew that the homemade poppyseed dressing would take this salad combination right over the top. Plus, making the salad at home lets me add more of my favorite ingredients.
I went back to the grocery store the next day and picked up the ingredients to make this salad for myself. I made it that night and ate it for dinner, I ate it again the next day for lunch, for a snack, and with dinner again. Even after tossing the salad with the dressing, it kept nicely for as long as it lasted in my house, about 36 hours.
All of my ramblings are simply to say that you really want to try this salad. If you’re not a big fan of kale, if Brussels aren’t your thing, if broccoli doesn’t thrill you, you just might like this salad anyways. I would have never guessed that this combination of flavors would work so well, but it does! My kids don’t typically love the “green stuff” in this salad, they watched me make it and were skeptical. However, one taste and they were sold; my middle son even asked for seconds.
- Salad Ingredients:
- 4 cups shredded and chopped curly kale
- 2 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup broccoli matchsticks
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup roasted and salted pepitas the inside kernel of the pumpkin seed
- optional: chopped cabbage and/or chopped endive
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white balsamic champagne, or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- pinch of kosher salt
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to throughly coat. Let the salad rest for at least 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!