Warm tomatoes still bursting with juices, crisp broccoli, tender mushrooms, softened bell peppers, and onions were cooked with sausage and then tossed with white beans and pasta to create a very easy and delicious meal with simple ingredients.
If pasta isn’t your thing, this would also be delicious tossed with roasted potatoes or served over rice. I had a little bit of just about everything left in the refrigerator after our trip out of town and I decided to combine it all into a skillet meal.
Hot sausage is one of my favorite meats to use for quick and easy dinners. It provides so much flavor that most dishes require almost no additional seasoning. Tossed with a bit of fresh basil, this was a fresh and easy meal that we all enjoyed.
Unlike most stir fry or skillet meals, this one doesn’t require prepping in advance. I started the sausage and the pasta and then just chopped and added to the skillet as it was cooking. The timing worked out perfectly that way and dinner was easily on the table in under half an hour.
Spicy Sausage, Vegetable and White Bean Skillet with Pasta
- 1 lb hot sausage
- 1 large yellow onion chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into narrow 1" strips
- 8-10 medium size baby bella mushrooms washed and quartered
- 1/2 small broccoli crown separated into very small florets, about 1 cup total
- 20 grape tomatoes halved, about 1 cup total
- 1 can great northern white beans drained and rinsed
- 10 large basil leaves sliced very thinly
- 6 oz pasta of your choice cooked and drained, I used a brown rice fusilli pasta
- kosher salt to taste, if needed
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste, if needed
- In a very large skillet, over medium high heat, cook and crumble the sausage. (My sausage did not leave a great deal of grease in the skillet after it was cooked. If there is more than a tablespoon or two, drain the excess before adding the vegetables to start cooking.) Heat a pot of water to boiling and cook the pasta at the same time as the sausage. When the pasta is tender, drain well and set aside.
- Add the onion to the cooked sausage, stir and cook for a few minutes. Add the pepper, stir and continue cooking. After a minute or two, add the mushrooms and broccoli, stir and cook a few more minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the tomatoes, cook about 2 minutes, just until warm and then add the beans and the basil. Stir and cook just a minute or two more until warmed through. Remove from the heat and add the cooked pasta. Toss to combine and taste to see if the dish needs any salt or pepper. Provided your sausage was spicy enough, you shouldn't need to add a thing. Enjoy!