It is a well-established fact that my husband and my oldest son love stuffed bell peppers. They would happily eat Spicy Italian Stuffed Peppers every week if I made them that often. When bell peppers went on sale last week, I jumped at the chance to make Crock-Pot Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup.
With the bell peppers still on sale this week, I decided to play with some Mexican flavors this time and it was a great idea. You can adjust the spices easily and make these as mild or hot as you like. I used my Mexican spice mix for this recipe, but your favorite taco seasoning will work as well. My whole family enjoyed these peppers and I’m sure to be making them again!
- 4 bell peppers halved with seeds removed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2-3 tablespoons Mexican spice mix or taco seasoning adjust to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans or 1 can rinsed and drained
- 2 ears corn kernels removed or 1 1/2 cups canned or frozen corn
- 1 bunch of green onions sliced thinly, dark green tops reserved for garnish
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped small
- 1-2 cups shredded or thinly sliced Pepperjack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, season it with Mexican spices while it is cooking. Start with just 2 tablespoons of the spices and wait to add more after the rest of the ingredients are combined and you have tasted it. Adjust the amount of spices according to your heat level preference.
- When the meat has browned add the beans, corn, and the white and light green portions of the sliced green onions. Stir to combine and then scoop the filling into the bell pepper halves. Place the bell pepper halves in a large baking dish. After the bell peppers are filled, pour about a cup of water into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then top with as much or as little cheese as you like. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and cilantro before serving. Enjoy!