Spicy Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers are one of my husband’s favorite meals. Every time I make them, I double or triple the recipe to ensure that I’ll have plenty of leftovers. I freeze the filling and I stuff peppers with it later.
Make Ahead Tip: If I don’t want to turn the oven on to bake the peppers, then I put together this skillet. I actually prefer this skillet to the original stuffed peppers.
If you have the filling mixture in the freezer, all you’ll need to do is saute the peppers and onions and then add (1) recipe’s worth of the filling mixture to the skillet.
Spicy Italian Bell Pepper and Onion Skillet
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 bell peppers I used 3 red peppers and 1 green pepper, roughly chopped into 1" pieces
- 2 medium yellow onions roughly chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 oz canned black olives roughly chopped
- 12 oz canned mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of spaghetti sauce use your favorite homemade or canned variety
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic garlic powder is fine
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine the rice and the water in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. When the rice is done, uncover and fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the olive oil in a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute for a few minutes and then add the peppers. Cook until tender and still crisp. Transfer to a plate or bowl and set aside next to the stove.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet, crumbling the meat as it cooks. until browned. Add the olives, mushrooms, spaghetti sauce, Worcestershire sauce, granulated garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the pepper mixture back to the skillet along with the cooked rice. Stir to combine. Enjoy!