After making numerous varieties of homemade ice cream over the past few years; I’ve found that in some cases, less rich and creamy ice creams pair better with some desserts. With fruit desserts especially, I prefer a lighter ice cream. With just a handful of ingredients, I can stir this ice cream together in moments. While it is churning in the machine, I have plenty of time to put together a quick crisp or cobbler.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream *
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 vanilla beans split in half lengthwise and seeds scraped or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Stir together all of the ingredients and pour into the ice cream machine. Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve immediately for soft serve ice cream. For firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for a couple hours. Enjoy!
- * I have also made this using only milk and no cream. It creates a true ice milk. The texture is icier and it is definitely ice milk and not ice
- cream. I like the ratio of 2/3 milk to 1/3 cream in this recipe. Not as
- smooth as heavier homemade ice creams, but still with a bit of
- richness from the cream.