I’ve wanted to try making mayonnaise for a while now, but I’ve been intimidated by it. That is, until I ran across a post here that described a one jar method for making mayonnaise, there was a link to a video as well. It sounded ridiculously easy, so I gave it a try and it worked.
This mayonnaise has a distinct olive oil flavor, but we like it. I’ll be honest here and just state that I prefer the taste of Hellman’s mayo with a clear egg flavor, but this is a great tasting, healthy, preservative free substitute.
After seeing how incredibly easy this was, I am looking forward to trying some flavored varieties with different herbs and spices.
Quick and Easy Homemade Mayonnaise with Olive Oil
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smooth dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup light flavor olive oil
- In a wide mouthed mason jar or comparably sized container, add the ingredients in the order listed above. Let it set for a moment to make sure the egg yolk is settled at the bottom.
- Place an immersion blender fully at the bottom of the container and start slowly pulsing the mixture. Within a few seconds, you will see mayonnaise start to form at the bottom of the jar. Slowly move the blender up and down to finish forming the mayonnaise. The whole process should take no more than a minute.
- Scrape the sides of the jar and cover with a lid. Place in the refrigerator and use within one week.