Three simple ingredients combine to create this flavorful and traditional Polish dish. If you are a fan of crock-pot cooking, this is an excellent meal to start in the morning and then forget about all day.
This recipe comes together in about an hour on the stove-top or it can be simmered through the day in the crock-pot. (For what it’s worth, I am not a fan of sauerkraut and I still enjoyed this meal.)
My sister married into a food-loving family and they have given us some truly fabulous recipes. Her mother in law grew up making kapusta with her grandmother.
Her family traditionally serves this dish with pierogies and the combination is delicious. I’ll be sharing how to make the pierogies tomorrow!
- 1 28 ounce jar of sauerkraut
- 2 lbs Polish/kielbasa sausage NOT smoked (If you can't find a non-smoked polish sausage, bratwurst will work in a pinch.)
- 1 28 ounce jar of marinara sauce, or 1 recipe Five Minute Marinara
- Pour the sauerkraut into a strainer over a bowl in the sink. Rinse thoroughly with water for at least 2-3 minutes. It is very important to remove the brine for this recipe. Let the rinsed sauerkraut rest in the strainer and drain while starting the rest of the dish.
- STOVE-TOP DIRECTIONS: Place the sausage links in the bottom of a large pot over medium high heat. Turn them over as needed, to brown each side. Add the rinsed sauerkraut and the marinara to the pot and reduce to low heat. Bring to a slow simmer and cover with lid. Simmer for 1 hour, or all day long over very low heat. Stirring occasionally. If desired, remove the sausages and slice just before serving. Enjoy!
- CROCK-POT DIRECTIONS: Place the sausage links in a skillet over medium high heat. Turn them over as needed, to brown each side. (Feel free to skip the browning step, if you like. Browning the sausages will add a little extra flavor, but it isn't required.) Place the sausages, rinsed sauerkraut and the marinara in the crock-pot over low heat. Simmer all day, from 6-10 hours. Stirring occasionally, if desired (although it isn't necessary). If desired, remove the sausages and slice just before serving. Enjoy!