Tender chicken breasts wrapped around Monterrey jack cheese, Black Forest ham and spicy green chile to create a fun new (and easy!) twist on cordon bleu.
Everyone in my family enjoyed this and I am sure I will be making it again. I wrapped one without the chile for my middle son and he liked his just as well.
Green Chile Chicken Cordon Bleu
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 - 2 1/2 lbs chicken breasts I used two enormous breasts that weighed over a lb each
- 8 thin slices Monterrey jack cheese
- 2 large slices of Black Forest ham each sliced in half
- 1/4 cup chopped green chile
- garlic powder
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons panko crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Slice the chicken breasts lengthwise to create a thinner breast. Depending on the thickness, pound the breasts to a uniform size. If your breasts are smaller initially, you may simply need to pound them out without slicing them first.
- Sprinkle each side of the chicken pieces generously with garlic, salt and pepper. Top each thinned chicken breast with a slice of cheese, then ham, then more cheese and a tablespoon green chile spread across the cheese. Roll the chicken up and pin each roll with two toothpicks.
- Mix together the Parmesan and the panko crumbs and then sprinkle generously over the chicken. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the chicken is cooked. The time will vary based on the thickness of the chicken. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @barefeetkitchen or tag #barefeetkitchen!
21 Comments Leave a comment or review
Debbi Does Dinner Healthy says
These look delicious! I love green chilies, thanks!
One of the first meals I ever made for Chris was chicken cordon bleu.. never thought to add green chilis… love it!
What a fun way to prepare a classic dish! It looks terrific.
My Journey With Candida says
Oh my! Look at those. And your potatoes look GREAT!
Kitchen Belleicious says
I love this! You know i love my green chiles and the way you combined the method of cordon bleu with the flavors of green chiles is awesome
[email protected] says
What a fun – and delicious – twist on the classic dish. I adore green chilies, so this adaption is right up my alley 🙂
The Slow Roasted Italian says
Sounds delicious. I love chicken cordon bleu, this one sounds amazing!
Tricia @ saving room for dessert says
You are very creative and it looks delicious! I bet your boys just love dinner time!
Chile, cheese and chicken sounds like an awesome combination
Inside a British Mum's Kitchen says
Such a great twist on an old favorite – I was thinking of chicken cordon bleu the other day – but this is SO interesting!!
I love green chiles… this chicken looks wonderful.
That is an interesting twist on a classic chicken recipe!
This looks wonderful! I love cordon bleu and I enjoy trying it in new ways.
Words Of Deliciousness says
Sounds so yummy. I love the idea of green chiles with in dish.
[email protected] eco friendly homemaking says
Oh this looks so delicious!! I agree what an interesting twist on a classic recipe! Always such a treat to check out your recipes!!
Becki's Whole Life says
This is such a great idea – I love the flavor of green chilies and I bet it tastes good with the MJ cheese and ham.
Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) says
this sound delicious!
I think you are a genius with this one, that chile is an exceptional addition. Nice recipe!
Debbi Does Dinner Healthy says
I simplified this and changed it quite a bit but it still was delicious with the green chiles. Thanks!
Thanks for spelling chile correctly! Regardless of what the AP style book says, true aficionados of these glorious pods know "chili" is stuff with meat or beans, and "chile" is the pepper.
That said, I'm trying this one.