The moment I saw these on Pinterest the other day, I knew I’d be making them very soon. I picked up kiwis at the store that same night and had them in the freezer first thing the next morning. I’ve actually made these three times now and my youngest son adores them! I give him the frozen kiwis on sticks (before they are dipped in chocolate) and he sits in his high chair and grins the entire time he eats them.
I’ve made these with both bittersweet dark chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate. The kiwis are a bit more tart (especially if you accidentally freeze ones that aren’t quite ripe in your eagerness to try this recipe!) after they are frozen, so the sweeter chocolate balanced out the kiwi nicely. I still preferred the darker chocolate, but that’s typically my preference with any chocolate treat.
- 6 large kiwis peeled using this awesome method, cut into 1/3"-1/2" thick rounds
- 1 cup dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- popsicle sticks or lollipop sticks
- Slice the peeled kiwis into rounds with a lollipop stick in each one. Place on a tray lined with wax paper or parchment. Freeze for at least 4 hours and up to 48 hours.
- In a glass bowl, melt the chocolate and the coconut oil over a pan of simmering water. You can also melt this in the microwave at no more than 50% power for 15-30 seconds at a time.
- Dip each frozen kiwi into the melted chocolate. The chocolate will harden within a few moments of being dipped. Eat immediately or re-freeze.