When an abundance of mushrooms in the refrigerator combined with some chicken breasts I found in the freezer, this Chicken with Mushrooms dinner was created. Chicken Marsala is one of my favorite chicken dinners and we make it frequently enough that I do occasionally run out of marsala. So, it was time to improvise.
This recipe was made for the first time a few years ago when a craving for Chicken Marsala met the ingredients on hand one weeknight. I liked it so much, I made it again just a few nights later.
I’ve made this chicken numerous times now over the past two or three years and the whole family consistently gives this recipe two thumbs up. I like to serve the chicken with Rosemary Roasted Potatoes and Caramelized Brussels Sprouts or Roasted Asparagus.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bacon grease or olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or 2 extra-large chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 16 ounces fresh crimini or baby bella mushrooms roughly quartered
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock either one works well
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and slice them horizontally down the center to create thin cutlets. Cut each piece in half to make 8 smaller cutlets. Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Place the flour in a bowl and lightly dredge each side of the chicken with flour.
- Melt the bacon grease in a large skillet over medium high heat. When it is hot, add half of the chicken to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes, then turn over and cook another 2 minutes. Be careful not to overcook, as it will dry out quickly. Transfer the cooked chicken to a baking dish and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Add the butter to the drippings in the hot skillet and when it melts add the mushrooms. Sprinkle with thyme and the remaining salt and pepper. Saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the wine or chicken stock and simmer about 3 minutes, until it has thickened slightly and reduces to about half. Sprinkle with parsley and then pour the mushrooms and the sauce over the chicken in the baking dish. Enjoy!