Perfect for a summertime meal, these fajitas were both light and filling. Full of flavor and different from the southwestern versions I’ve tried in the past. These were a refreshing change.
My entire family really enjoyed them. I set out the toppings and each of us assembled our own with our favorite foods. One of my boys was excited to fill his almost entirely with mushrooms and cheese and the other one was thrilled to stuff his with extra onions.
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice 2 large limes provided more than enough for this recipe
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts about 3 large breasts
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion cut into thin strips
- 1 large green pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 large red pepper cut into thin strips
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced or quartered
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- dash of salt and fresh pepper
- Whisk together all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place chicken in a large ziploc bag and pound to an even thickness. Pour the marinade over the chicken and seal the bag. Place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- After chicken has marinated, broil (or grill) the chicken for approximately 5 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and tent with foil on a plate to keep warm. While the chicken is cooking, prep the vegetables.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and then add the onions, bell peppers and mushrooms. Cook until crisp tender, tossing gently with tongs periodically. Add the remaining ingredients and cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Slice chicken thinly and toss with the skillet ingredients. Serve immediately with flour tortillas and top with lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, or whatever else you like best.