Inspired by the marinated tomatoes that I’ve been making for a few years now, these tangy, slightly sweet tomatoes are lighter and not quite as sweet as the original. These tomatoes are unbelievably flavorful; I couldn’t resist snacking on them while they were marinating on the counter.
I’ve used just about every variety of tomato to make this recipe. Beefsteak, roma, campari, cherry, sugar plum, and grape tomatoes all work very well in this combination.
Garden fresh tomatoes are always best and thanks to the generosity of our friends, I’ve been blessed with some already this summer. (Thanks again, Jill!) In lieu of a garden or friends who garden, use whichever variety of tomato is at your fingertips.
These tomatoes are delicious on their own as a side dish. I have also made two different salads with them this week and I will be sharing those recipes tomorrow.
You’re going to want to make the Champagne Tomato Basil Pasta Salad and the Champagne Tomato Garden Salad as soon as you possibly can.
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes cut bite size (simply cut cherry and grape tomatoes in half)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar white balsamic works as well
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 extra large basil leaves or about 8 average size leaves, sliced very thin
- In a medium size bowl with a lid, stir together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic. Add the tomatoes and basil and toss to coat. Cover with lid and let the tomato mixture rest and marinate at room temperature or in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and as long as 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
8 Comments Leave a comment or review
I would have no problem munching on these all day long! Such a tasty marinade!
Tricia @ Saving room for dessert says
Oh yes – tomato season is here! Chris posted a champagne vinegar dressing recently and now you posted a great one too. You know I'm buying some this weekend. I bet this would be good with some whole wheat pasta thrown in too. Delicious alone or with add-ins. A great recipe!
Love this idea… and I have some cherry tomatoes that are just waiting for me to do something with!!
Sue/the view from great island says
I love the sound of these—so elegant!
Dawn Yucuis says
I love tomatoes and this sounds like a great recipe.
Man I wish we had fresh tomatoes like that available. But we're still a few months off yet!
This sounds sooooo good. I can't wait to make these. We're having a party at Tumbleweed Contessa tomorrow featuring salads. I'd love it if you brought this by.
Wishes for tasty dishes,
WOW! These little tomatoes were sooooooo good! Absolutely delicious flavour! I am making a charcuterie board for a cocktail party soon and these little lovelies will definitely play a starring role on my board! This recipe is a real keeper!