Slightly sweet, tangy with a hint of spice, this was a great barbecue chicken marinade. Living in the desert has some advantages this time of year. When I came home the other night, our neighbor’s barbecue smelled fantastic.
I knew that I wanted to grill the following night and I was inspired to try making something different.
I checked out Jenn and Chris‘ blogs for inspiration. I hadn’t tried making my own barbecue sauce before, so I went straight to my favorite experts. I now have several recipes saved to try this year.
Consider yourself warned if you go to check out their sites. You will be craving everything there.
Carolina Style Barbecue Chicken
- 1/3 cup dijon mustard
- 4 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 chicken legs thighs and drumsticks
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in a gallon size ziploc bag or airtight container. In a small bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients. Reserve about ½ cup of the marinade and pour the rest over the chicken. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least a couple hours.
- Preheat grill and oil the grates. Remove the chicken and place over the fire. Grill 10-15 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken pieces. Serve with reserved sauce. Enjoy!
11 Comments Leave a comment or review
Becki's Whole Life says
Isn't it nice to be able to grill all year long? We grilled last night and it wasn't too bad out on the deck! This sounds yummy and definitely in Carolina style.
Sue/the view from great island says
Thanks for this, barbecue sauce is something that never made it into my cooking repertoire, and this one looks pretty simple. Those sauces with an ingredient list a mile long turn me off! I'll check out Chris and Jenn's site.
I need to get some propane asap, because I need this Chicken in my life! SO YUMMY!
Big Dude says
That's two good sites to visit for grilling advice and recipes for sure, and your chicken looks delicious.
[email protected] Eats Girl says
I am going to try this….it sounds amazing! And I have all of the ingredients in my house! YAY!
Reem | Simply Reem says
Wow this looks wonderful…
I love grilled chicken and this recipe looks super easy and delicious….
Will try it sometime soon.
Wishing you and your family a Very Happy 2012, Mary.
Solid recipe, especially like the addition of Sriracha.
Hey, thanks for the link:)
Looks like you did really well. It's funny, I started my whole grilling/bbq adventure trying to perfect the Carolina style bbq pork and Carolina style burger (slaw, chili, onions, mustard). Now that you mention it, I don't really have an idea of what Carolina style chicken would be except maybe with a South Carolina style mustard sauce. You have my wheels turning now:)
My husband hates BBQ sauce, but this looks like it is a doer… gonna try this this week. Thank you so much.
Jackie Cooper says
any suggestions for people with no grill.
You can cook the chicken in the oven after marinating it. Simply use whichever method is easiest for you.