The tomatoes are finally in abundance in my garden and I am so happy. When I saw the harvest this morning, I couldn’t imagine anything more perfect for dinner than a salad loaded with tomatoes.
This is one of the most unique pasta shapes I’ve found to date. I am always looking for fun new varieties to try. What is your favorite pasta shape?
Balsamic Tomato Salad with Trottole and Mozzarella
- 6 cups assorted small tomatoes I used sunburst, campari, cherry and grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup basil sliced very thin
- 1/2 cup Italian flat leaf parsley chopped small
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 8 ounces trottole or your favorite large pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 ounces black olives sliced
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese diced (mozzarella pearls would be great with this as well)
- Combine the first six ingredients and let sit at room temperature for 2-4 hours. Once the tomatoes have created their own marinade, add the cooked pasta, olives and balsamic vinegar and toss to coat thoroughly. Transfer the salad to a gallon size ziploc at this point, to make sure that everything is thoroughly coated and marinating. Place in fridge to chill until you are ready to eat.
- Right before eating, add the diced cheese and toss to coat. If I am planning for leftovers, I like to save a portion without cheese and add the cheese before eating the next day. I prefer the texture of the cheese when it is freshly added to the salad. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @barefeetkitchen or tag #barefeetkitchen!
7 Comments Leave a comment or review
Amy J. and Tiffanie A. says
This looks FANTASTIC!!!!! Have you ever been to Cheesecake Factory and eaten Evelyn's Pasta?? This reminds me of it and I am big big fan of it! Such a good summer side dish.
The Slow Roasted Italian says
I love trottole, it looks like a top! Lovely pasta salad Miss Mary.
Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking says
Looks delicious and there is nothing better than fresh tomatoes from the garden! Unfortunately, our crop hasn't been that productful this year, but the zucchini – that's another story.
Monday's Child says
Do you have any idea how much my mouth waters just looking at that?!?
Sweet And Crumby says
WOW! This dish looks so flavorful and fresh! How wonderful to have home grown and ripe tomatoes!
Mmm I love cold pasta salads–especially during summer. I'm sure those tomatoes are so fresh and juicy. Ah, I want this for lunch!
I've never heard of that shape of pasta! My favorite pasta is either fettuccine or papardelle. 🙂