The tomatoes are finally in abundance in my garden and I am so happy. When I saw the harvest this morning, I couldn’t imagine anything more perfect for dinner than a salad loaded with tomatoes.
of the most unique pasta shapes I’ve found to date. I am always looking for
fun new varieties to try. What is your favorite pasta shape?
- 6 cups assorted small tomatoes I used sunburst, campari, cherry and grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup basil sliced very thin
- 1/2 cup Italian flat leaf parsley chopped small
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 8 ounces trottole or your favorite large pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 ounces black olives sliced
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese diced (mozzarella pearls would be great with this as well)
- Combine the first six ingredients and let sit at room temperature for 2-4 hours. Once the tomatoes have created their own marinade, add the cooked pasta, olives and balsamic vinegar and toss to coat thoroughly. Transfer the salad to a gallon size ziploc at this point, to make sure that everything is thoroughly coated and marinating. Place in fridge to chill until you are ready to eat.
- Right before eating, add the diced cheese and toss to coat. If I am planning for leftovers, I like to save a portion without cheese and add the cheese before eating the next day. I prefer the texture of the cheese when it is freshly added to the salad. Enjoy!