This Loaded Baked Potato Chicken and Broccoli Casserole starts with fluffy mashed potatoes that are mixed with tender bites of broccoli and chicken, then generously sprinkled with bacon and cheese. The result is an absolutely irresistible dinner.
Follow BAREFEET IN THE KITCHEN on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- 3 pounds red potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 medium size broccoli crown about 2-3 cups bite-size broccoli florets
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded cheese see cook's note, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch square baking dish with butter or cooking spray. Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and then transfer them back to the hot pot.
- While the potatoes are boiling, steam or roast the broccoli until hot and barely softened. It should still be a little bit crisp. Drain any liquid from the broccoli. Cook the bacon, chop or crumble and set aside.
- Place the pot with the potatoes back over the warm (but turned off) burner, if you have a gas stove turn the heat to the lowest possible setting. (This will help evaporate any water left in the pan and keep the mashed potatoes nice and fluffy.) Smash the potatoes with a potato masher. Add the butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked broccoli, the chicken, the bacon, and 1 cup of cheese to the pot. Stir to mix throughout and then transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the casserole is heated through. Enjoy!
This recipe will work well with rotisserie chicken, with leftover roasted chicken, or with any pre-cooked chicken. Monterey Jack, Cheddar, or a Mexican blend shredded cheese will all work with this recipe. I used a Mexican blend shredded cheese because I had it on hand and it worked great.
This casserole can be made in almost any 1 1/2 - 2 quart oven safe dish. A larger (9x13 style) dish will work as well, just watch the time and be careful not to overcook.
Here are some more casserole recipes you might enjoy:
Sloppy Joe Casserole by The Baker Mama
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Casserole by Cook Crave Inspire
Hawaiian Chicken and Rice Casserole by Mom on Timout
Cheesy Potato Casserole by Belly Full
Chicken and Mushroom Casserole with Panko Topping by The Lemon Bowl
Healthy Stuffed Pepper Casserole by Rachel Cooks
Italian Chicken Pasta Casserole by Shugary Sweets