Beef and bacon all wrapped up in a perfect little cheese topped meatball. Are you at all surprised that my kids went absolutely nuts over these Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs?
I served the meatballs on their own with a whole bunch of cut up veggies and ranch dip. (We are super fancy like that.) However, my oldest was quick to point out that these meatballs would make the world’s greatest burger if I served them in a bun.
I’m thinking that they would also be delicious with a side of barbecue sauce and some roasted potato wedges. I already have them on the menu again for next month!
If you haven’t made meatballs before and are leery of making them, don’t be! It is so much easier than you might think. Slightly wet hands makes it easier to smooth and shape the meatballs. (I usually run water over my hands a couple of times while making them.) It took me maybe ten minutes to shape all of these meatballs and then it was just a matter of waiting for them to bake and topping them with cheese.
Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/4 pound bacon chopped very small
- 1 cup panko or plain breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion or onion powder
- 4 - 6 ounces thinly sliced cheddar or pepper jack cheese cut into 1" square pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine the beef, pork, and bacon in a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to crumble them together. Add the breadcrumbs, eggs, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Mix everything together with your hands or a large spoon. Scoop and shape into small 1" meatballs and place on two foil lined baking sheets. Bake for 18 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and increase the oven temperature to broil. Top each meatball with a small square of cheese and broil an additional 90 seconds to 2 minutes, just until the cheese has melted. Enjoy!