I have several zucchini bread recipes that I use each year when the squash is plentiful. This bread is the most requested recipe of them all.
The olive oil in this recipe gives it a deeper flavor and the whole wheat gives the bread a great texture and slightly nutty flavor as well.I still love my Brown Sugar Spice Zucchini Muffins, but this is a different flavor entirely.
This bread is richer in flavor and not cake-like at all. It is moist when first baked and stays that way even days later. It is delicious by itself or with butter or whipped cream cheese on top.
I’ve been playing with my zucchini bread recipes a lot lately, due to the overabundance of squash in my garden. Hopefully, squash are as plentiful in your area as they are in mine. This is a large recipe. It makes 3 full sized loaves of bread, perfect for the freezer and for gifts.
- 6 small zucchini approximately 5 1/2 cups shredded
- 3 1/2 cups light brown sugar packed
- 2 cups light olive oil not extra virgin (this makes a big difference)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour I used freshly ground hard white wheat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups walnuts chopped and divided – set aside 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grate zucchini and then press most of the water out with a towel. Combine the oil, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and the spices. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined. Stir in the grated zucchini and then the nuts.
- Grease loaf pans and then pour batter into them as evenly as possible. Very lightly sprinkle the additional nuts on top of the loaves. If you have too many nuts on top, it will cause the bread to fall slightly. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into loaf comes out clean or with crumbs. Enjoy!