I’ve had zucchini waffles on my list of things to try for months now. I finally decided to try them this past week and now I can’t believe I waited so long. They were truly delicious.
With whole wheat flour and plenty of fresh zucchini, these were a very healthy hot breakfast. The texture of the waffles was amazingly good. I had no idea what to expect from zucchini waffles and these did not disappoint.
The zucchini taste was slight and barely distinguishable after we topped the waffles with butter and maple syrup or waffle sauce. My baby ate two full waffle squares in the time it took to set the table and prep everyone’s plates.
My oldest son actually announced that he liked these even more than the waffles that we usually make.
These waffles do not include any sugar or oils at all. I didn’t really plan it that way; it just happened and I liked the result. We always top our waffles with syrup or waffle sauce and they are plenty sweet that way.
If you prefer your waffles plain or with just butter, I would recommend adding a small amount of sugar to the recipe. The zucchini provides all the moisture needed and there is no need to add oil to the recipe.
My boys and I finished these off in one sitting. I’ll double or triple the recipe next time. I’m looking forward to having some of these in the freezer for quick and easy breakfasts.
Whole Wheat Zucchini Waffles
- 1 large or 2 small zucchinis shredded, approximately 1½ cups shredded (about 1 cup drained and pressed zucchini)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the waffle iron. Shred the zucchini and then place it into a clean dishtowel. Press the moisture out of the zucchini and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine. Add the milk, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk to combine, do not overbeat. Add the zucchini and stir gently to combine.
- Pour batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook until crisp and browned. Serve with the toppings of your choice. Enjoy!