This meal was inspired by an impromptu trip to our cabin and an unexpected craving for chili. I pulled this together with only ingredients from the cupboards and it turned out deliciously. All of my boys enjoyed this a lot and requested the leftovers for lunch the following day.
I chose to simmer mine all day in the crockpot, but this could easily be made on the stovetop in less than an hour. Just bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer until ready to eat. Serve with Homesteader’s Cornbread for a perfect cold weather meal.
Vegetarian Four Bean and Chipotle Chili
- 1/2 very large onion 3/4 cup chopped small
- 1 14 ounce can Ranch style pinto beans
- 1 14 ounce can great northern beans
- 1 14 ounce can black beans
- 1 14 ounce can light red kidney beans
- 29 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Mexican spice mix or taco seasoning
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce finely minced, adjust the amount based on your tolerance for heat
- Optional: shredded cheese and sour cream for serving
- Combine all ingredients in a crockpot and simmer on low all day or on high for a few hours. Top with cheese and/or sour cream just before serving. Enjoy!