The same day that I saw Mel post this recipe, I immediately added whole tomatoes to my shopping list. White Chicken Chili is one of my family’s favorite recipes and I expected this soup to be just as delicious. It does not disappoint.
This soup is almost unbelievably flavorful. The whole tomatoes provide a deeper flavor than the more typical diced or crushed varieties. The red pepper flakes and the cayenne can all be adjusted for your spice preference.
The amounts listed in the recipe were perfect for my family with enough heat to deepen the flavor without actually burning your mouth.
Tomato Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 large colored bell peppers I used red and yellow
- 1 teaspoon chili powder I used NM red chile
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes adjust to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper adjust to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
- 2 28 ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked and diced or shredded chicken
- Optional toppings: finely chopped onions shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, corn chips or crushed tortilla chips
- In a soup pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, tender and slightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute. Add the bell peppers and the dried spices. Cook the the peppers for a minute or two, and then add the tomatoes. Crush the tomatoes quickly; squeezing them with your hands while they are still cool or using the back of a spoon or with a few pulses of an immersion blender. Add the chicken and bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- After simmering, add the basil (if using fresh basil) and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Serve with the toppings of your choice if desired. Enjoy!
9 Comments Leave a comment or review
I love the white chicken chili recipe too! Gonna have to give this one a try.. it looks and sounds amazing!
karen marie says
Yes, yes, I was totally blown away by the white chicken chili recipe! Maybe I'll make this tonight …
Tricia @ saving room for dessert says
I bet it does taste good but it also looks delicious! Beautiful photos too!
Big Dude says
Looks really good Mary and it's sure soup weather here this week – Bev made a big pot of chili yesterday for us to eat on this week plus some in the freezer.
Looks like a great "start it and forget it until you're starving" kind of meal!
Blond Duck says
Sounds so good!
Cheah ~ No-Frills Recipes says
This will pair well with some toasts…
I wish I read the instructions before going to the store! If the tomatoes get crushed, or put through an immersion blender, why not just use canned crushed tomatoes? Am I missing something?
The whole tomatoes give the soup a much deeper flavor. This soup was one of the first times I used them like this and it really does make a difference.