Strawberry Pineapple Crepes with Cardamom Cream is what happens when I’m left with extra pineapples in the house along with a kitchen filled with the aroma of cardamom. The cardamom fragrance was the result of a small spill and I have to admit that I didn’t mind that at all. I adore cardamom, it is my favorite new spice find this year.
I’ve put cardamom in ginger spice carrot cake cookies, hot buttered rum, hot buttered rum cookies and my homemade chai tea. I’ve been wanting to try a cardamom whipped cream for months and this breakfast was the perfect excuse to finally make it!
Are you wondering what my kids thought of this meal? As I was making it, I wondered whether it would be too different for their taste buds or not. Luckily, they all loved it and my oldest son declared this is one of the best meals I have ever made. I absolutely LOVED all the different flavors together.
I made these crepes using my two ingredient pancake recipe. I love this recipe for both savory and sweet fillings. To make the batter, you simply blend together a few eggs with a scoop of cream cheese. Seriously, it is THAT easy!
The only special note here is that the crepes will be delicate. Nothing complicated to it, simply make sure they are finished cooking on each side before attempting to flip them.
They will tear easily if they are not cooked through. If the crepes are frustrating you, make them smaller as pancakes. They taste the same and you will be able to make them much more quickly.
I’m including my traditional crepe recipe as well, if that is more your style.
Strawberry Pineapple Crepes with Cardamom Cream
- 4 eggs
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut into 6-8 cubes
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 medium size pineapple peeled, cored and diced very small, about 1 cup
- 1/2 lb strawberries diced very small, about 1 cup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 - 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Place the pineapple and berries in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside and let the flavors combine while you make the whipped cream and the crepes. Combine the cream, sugar, vanilla and cardamom in a mixing bowl and beat on high speed until it turns fluffy and forms peaks of whipped cream. Place the whipped cream in the refrigerator for a few minutes, while you make the crepes.
- Combine the eggs and the cream cheese in a blender. Blend until smooth. (This should take just a few moments.) Let the batter rest a moment while you warm a skillet on the stove over medium to medium high heat. Melt a teaspoon of butter in the skillet and spread it around the pan. Pour about ⅓ cup of batter onto the hot skillet. Tilt the pan around to cover the bottom with the batter.
- Cook them for a couple minutes on the first side, just until golden, and then carefully flip and cook another minute or so on the other. Once you have a feel for the way these cook, proceed to make them as big or small as you like. Plate them as you go and fill them with generous scoops of fruit. Fold over the tops and then add a scoop of whipped cream on top. Enjoy!