Warm sticky-sweet chicken, sweet oranges, crisp green lettuce, cilantro and almonds are piled high in this simple salad. I made a quick White Balsamic Dressing to toss with the salad and the flavors worked great together.
When Lori Lange offered to send me a copy of her book, The RecipeGirl Cookbook, I jumped at the chance to check it out. I love Lori’s cooking style and I knew that I’d find countless recipes to tempt me.
I had a heck of a time deciding what to make first! I’ve already bookmarked the Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Cream, Slow Cooker Carnitas, Cranberry Almond Granola, Triple Berry Salad, Orange Basil Mojitos, Irish Cream Brownies, Sugar Spice Drop Doughnuts and many more I want to try soon!
My family has a thing for sticky sweet chicken, so as soon as I saw Lori’s recipe for Sticky Sweet Chicken Wings, I knew that was the one for us. The chicken turns out so tender, it will almost fall apart on you when you are ready to serve it.
I tossed the cooked chicken into a very simple chopped salad with mandarin oranges, almonds, cilantro and a white balsamic vinaigrette. I really enjoyed this salad and happily ate it for lunch the following day as well.
Sticky Chicken Chopped Salad
- Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs or breasts boneless skinless
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Optional Glaze Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Salad Ingredients:
- 2 heads romaine lettuce thinly shredded, about 8 cups worth
- 10 clementine oranges peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Optional: 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinaigrette
- Place the chicken and all marinade ingredients in a large ziploc bag. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours, turning the bag occasionally. Preheat the oven to broil and move the top oven rack to about six inches from the top of the oven. (If you have a broiler drawer, use it as directed by the manufacturer.) Line a large baking sheet with foil and place the chicken on it. Broil the chicken for 5-6 minutes on the first side and then remove from the oven and turn the pieces over. Broil another 5 minutes or so, until the meat is no longer pink and the juices run clear. Remove from the oven.
- Optional Glaze Directions: (Prepare the glaze while the chicken is in the oven.) If you want the chicken to be extra sticky and sweet, whisk together the glaze ingredients and warm in a saucepan or in the microwave until bubbling. Whisk to make sure the cornstarch has completely dissolved and the sauce has thickened. Generously brush the glaze over the finished chicken pieces, flip and brush over the other side. Let rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- To make the salad: Place the lettuce, oranges, almonds and cilantro in a large bowl. Slice the chicken very thin and add to the salad bowl. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss with your hands to coat well. Enjoy!