This is a hearty chili loaded with beef, bratwurst, white beans, black beans and kidney beans, along with plenty of heat from chipotle peppers, cayenne, red pepper flakes and NM red chile powder. Despite the fact that our temperatures were still in the hundreds last week, my husband asked if I could please make him some soup or chili.
We like to keep individual portions in the freezer for him to take for lunch on the days when I don’t have leftovers set aside for his lunch. So, I cranked the a/c and enjoyed an afternoon of chili simmering on the stove-top.
This chili was a lovely way to remind myself that fall really is right around the corner. I can hardly wait!
This recipe will make a huge amount of chili. I used a 12 quart pot and I wouldn’t try this in anything smaller than an 8 quart pot. I came home from our Labor Day weekend BBQ with a bag full of leftover grilled brats. I sliced them very thinly and added them to the chili. It was a tasty way to put the leftovers to use.
Spicy Three Bean Chili with Beef and Bratwurst
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 spicy bratwurst grilled or added raw and cooked with the ground beef, sliced as thinly as possible
- 4-6 chipotle chiles about 1/2 cup minced
- 2 small yellow onions chopped small
- 2 cups chopped bell peppers I used a 16 oz bag of frozen multicolored chopped peppers
- 3 cups cooked black beans or 2 cans
- 3 cups cooked white beans or 2 cans
- 1 1/2 cups cooked light red kidney beans or 1 can
- 29 ounce can tomato sauce
- 29 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 29 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 6-8 tablespoons Mexican Spice Mix adjust according to the level of heat you prefer
- Optional toppings: Sour cream and/or shredded cheese
- In a very large stock pot over medium high heat, cook and crumble the ground beef along with the Mexican Spice Mix. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for several hours. Serve warm and top with sour cream and cheese if desired. Enjoy!