Strawberry Spinach Salad is one of my family’s favorite salads. Now that berries are in season at last, we’ve been enjoying it at least once a week. I wanted to make something a little different this time and so I played with the recipe a bit more than usual.
This simple salad of baby spinach leaves, slightly tart green grapes, sweet berries, crunchy onions and almonds is topped with spicy strawberry and grape vinaigrette creating a very different salad that my husband, my oldest son and I absolutely loved. (My younger boys were quite happy to avoid the spice in this version with a simple plate of fruit for themselves.)
This salad was completely gone within minutes of tossing it with the dressing for our lunch. I loved the added crunch and slight heat that the spicy almonds added to the salad.
The cayenne pepper made the dressing an unexpected surprise of cool fruit flavors with just a slight lingering heat. The grapes were a fun addition as well and a great way to remind myself that there is more to salad eating than just our favorites.
- Salad Ingredients:
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 10-12 strawberries stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup green grapes halved
- 1/4 red onion very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Sweet and Spicy Cayenne Roasted Almonds or the nut of your choice
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 6 large berries stems removed
- 10 large green grapes about 1/4 cup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar plain balsamic will work as well, add more as desired
- tiny pinch of kosher salt
- generous dash or two of cayenne pepper adjust to taste, I liked it pretty spicy
- Place the berries and grapes for the dressing in the blender, add the oil and vinegar and puree until smooth. Should only take a few moments, scrape the sides as needed. Add the salt and cayenne pepper and pulse to combine. Taste and adjust as desired. Pour into a jar and chill until serving.
- Place the almonds in a ziploc bag, press the air out and seal. Crush into a crunchy powder with a few whacks of a wooden spoon. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the spinach, berries, grapes and onion. Toss to combine and drizzle with as much dressing as desired. (I only used about 1/4 of the dressing for this salad. The rest will keep well in the fridge for at least a week.) Toss to coat the salad with dressing and then top with the crushed almonds. Enjoy!