Fresh, sweet corn sauteed with Mexican spices and then tossed with lime was an excellent idea. I used just enough chile to provide flavor without any heat. If you want some heat, simply increase the amount of chile powder.
I was excited to get my hands on a few more ears of truly sweet corn this past weekend. There is a farm near our cabin where they actually have an annual festival to celebrate the arrival of the corn each year. We didn’t attend the festival; but luckily for us, the grocery stores in the area stock the corn for as long as it lasts.
In the mood for some southwestern flavors, this corn was exactly what I was craving. I couldn’t wait for dinner, so I actually made this first thing in the morning and ate a fair amount of it for my breakfast.
Apparently, I have a serious addiction to corn this year. Last year, it was zucchini filling my kitchen. Who knows what I’ll fixate on next year? If you have opportunity to pick up some truly fresh corn this year, don’t wait. There is nothing else like it.
Southwestern Corn Skillet with Chile and Lime
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ears of fresh corn about 5 cups worth of kernels removed from the cob
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon chile powder I used NM red chile, adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Optional: 4 strips of bacon cut into 1/2" strips
- Bacon option: In a large skillet, cook the bacon pieces over medium high heat for about 5-6 minutes. When the bacon is crisp, remove to a paper towel lined plate. Drain the grease, reserving just a teaspoon or two in the pan.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and melt a tablespoon of butter in the pan. (You can skip the butter if you are using the pan after cooking bacon.) Add the corn, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika and chile powder to the hot skillet and toss to coat. Saute for 2-3 minutes until warm and still crisp. Drizzle with lime juice and toss again. Serve hot, topped with the crisp bacon. Enjoy!
9 Comments Leave a comment or review
Lori @ Intoxicology 101 says
Not the biggest fan of corn, but you make it look DELICIOUS. Probably the bacon, it's my addiction. 🙂
What a delicious summer corn. Thank you for sharing. A lovely way to begin my Sunday. I hope you had a fabulous weekend…and I wish you an even better week!
That sounds so good. Would love to have this along with tacos or fajitas as a topping.
Such a gorgeous, bright, summery salad. It sounds fantastic. And I can never get even Mexican/Southwestern recipes!
Inside a British Mum's Kitchen says
Lovely, lovely flavors – bacon, corn and lime with a touch of cumin sounds like heaven to me!
This looks super delicious! Totally in love. 🙂
Those flavors sound just amazing together 🙂
fresh corn, kissed with bacon drippings,,(NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT)