These potatoes were inspired by the Vanilla Bean Mashed Sweet Potatoes that I have raved about in the past, as well as by the Sweet Potatoes with Spinach that I’ve made repeatedly over the past year.
I wanted mashed sweet potatoes, but I had about 3 minutes to get them on the table by the time they had cooled enough to peel and mash.
I made them again today because I liked them so much. Simply mash the sweet potatoes; then add a scoop of sour cream and a pinch of salt. If you are feeling fancy, feel free to drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper as well.
The potatoes are delicious both ways.
Simply Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes this was 4 small-medium size sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- Optional: drizzle of olive oil freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and place the
- scrubbed sweet potatoes on it. Puncture each of them with a fork and
- then bake until they are fork tender, about 45-60 minutes depending on
- When the potatoes are done, remove from the oven and let cool for a few
- minutes. Slice them in half and peel the skins off of them. (This is
- very easy once they are roasted.) Place the cooked potatoes in a large
- mixing bowl and smash with a potato masher. Add the sour cream and salt and stir to combine. Taste and adjust salt as needed. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with freshly cracked pepper if desired. Enjoy!
7 Comments Leave a comment or review
I haven't had mashed sweet potatoes since I made them for a Thanksgiving several years ago! I really should have them more often!
You can't go wrong with a simple healthy delicious recipe like this! I need to make mashed sweet potatoes more often!
I love this recipe, Mary – simple and perfect! I could eat sweet potatoes morning, noon and night… baked, mashed, smashed, fried… YUM!!!
I want this for dinner… tonight!
Tricia @ saving room for dessert says
The pepper sounds so interesting. I had mashed sweet potatoes for dinner the other night – I think they'd be good with anything on top. Love the sour cream idea – I'm going to try it with yogurt. Thanks Mary!
[email protected] eco friendly homemaking says
Oh these look delicious! I have some sweet potatoes and I am now on the way to make these!!
Sue/the view from great island says
I'm so glad sweet potatoes are healthy—I could eat a bowl of this for dessert!