Crisp, lightly sautéed veggies, seasoned with garlic and just a little butter make a perfectly simple and delicious side dish.
I served this alongside Grilled Chicken Marinated with Basil and Lemon; it was a great combination.
- 2 medium Italian zucchini cut into bite size pieces - yellow or green is fine
- 1 1/2 cups snap peas this was approximately two large handfuls
- 1 large onion cut into bite size pieces
- 5 oz mushrooms sliced small
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- 10 large basil leaves very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter room temperature
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil and add the garlic. Saute for about a minute and add the mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute just until tender. Remove from pan and set aside in a covered bowl.
- Add the onions to the empty skillet and saute over medium heat. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water, cover with lid and steam them for a minute or two. Add the zucchini and snap peas. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with lid, stirring occasionally and steam/saute until vegetables are tender, but still crisp. This should only take a few minutes. Taste vegetables and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- Add the mushrooms back into the skillet and toss to combine. Add the softened butter and toss gently to coat the vegetables. Sprinkle the basil over the vegetables and toss gently. Enjoy!