One of the first posts I wrote was for Roasted Red Potatoes and we have enjoyed them and many other roasted potato recipes as regular side dishes with many of our meals. Over the past year, I’ve run across several tips for soaking the cut potatoes in ice water for 15-20 minutes prior to baking and I finally got around to trying it. It worked so well, I am posting this updated version to show what I did differently.
These soaked potatoes actually turned out both lighter and fluffier on the inside and crispier on the outside. These potatoes were so delicious, the kids have already asked for the “new” potatoes again. For a real treat, serve these with Homemade Ketchup!
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- any additional seasonings as desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Scrub the potatoes well. Cut into wedges and then place in a large bowl filled with ice water. Let them soak for 15-20 minutes and then drizzle with olive oil and toss well to coat. Sprinkle in 1/2 tablespoon seasoning and toss to coat. On two large baking sheets, lined with silpat mats or greased with oil, spread out the fries. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 tablespoon (or more to taste) of seasoning over the fries.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, turning the fries over halfway through the cooking time. Depending on your oven, you might also want to rotate the trays, top to bottom and bottom to top. Enjoy!