While looking for a side dish the other night, I decided to roast some potatoes and then saute some peppers to toss with them. I loved the combination of the crisp peppers and onions along with the crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside roasted potatoes.
When I spied bacon in the fridge, I couldn’t resist adding it to this dish. We liked it so much there weren’t any leftovers.
- 4-6 medium size Yukon gold potatoes washed and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large sweet yellow onion
- Optional: 1/2 pound of bacon
- *adjust all the seasonings to taste this is approximately what I used.
- Preheat oven to 350. Combine olive oil and all the spices in the bottom of a large bowl. Add the potatoes and toss gently with your hands to coat the potatoes. Coat a large baking sheet with olive oil and then spread the potatoes out across it. Bake for about 30 minutes, turning the potatoes with a spatula once while cooking.
- While the potatoes are baking, saute your vegetables. Then turn the oven to broil and let the potatoes get crispy. This should take approximately 8-10 additional minutes.
- If you are going to add the bacon, you can oven cook that along with the potatoes and then drain it on paper towels. Break it into pieces once it is cool enough to touch and then toss it with the vegetables. When the potatoes are done baking, combine everything in one dish and serve immediately.