Garlicky sauteed mushrooms, tender onions along with crisp and colorful Swiss chard made the perfect lunch when topped with leftover lemon chicken.
Greens and lemon flavors pair together deliciously, so when I had a few pieces of this Lemon Lime Grilled Chicken leftover, I knew exactly what I wanted to make. I liked this combination so much, I’m crossing my fingers for more rainbow chard in my next CSA box.
Rainbow Chard and Mushroom Stir Fry
Servings: 2 main servings or 4 side servings
- 2-3 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 huge garlic cloves minced - adjust this amount to taste, I really wanted a strong garlic flavor
- 1/2 small onion very thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 10-12 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced into thick pieces, about 3-4 pieces per mushrooms
- 6 large pieces of rainbow Swiss chard washed and left slightly damp
- Optional: leftover Grilled Lemon Chicken - sliced thinly
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil and add the garlic. Saute for about 30 seconds and then add the onions and stir to coat with oil and garlic. Continue cooking for a couple minutes, until it starts to become fragrant. Add the mushrooms and stir to combine. Add the salt and red pepper and toss to coat well. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, shake any excess water off the Swiss chard and then remove the stems. Slice the stems very thinly and then add them to the skillet. Stir to combine. Slice the remaining leaves into ribbons and then add to the skillet with the rest of the vegetables. Toss well to coat with oil and seasonings. Saute for another 2-3 minutes until the greens are just barely wilted. Top with grilled chicken if desired and Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @barefeetkitchen or tag #barefeetkitchen!
14 Comments Leave a comment or review
Becki's Whole Life says
How pretty are the little stems of the chard coloring the dish? Nothing like some garlicky greens and mushrooms together. The grilled chicken topping it off sounds like a perfect lunch!
The Blonde Duck says
I've never tried chard!
Allison at Novice Life says
This looks delicious and I am now totally craving it!
Nancy @Real Food, Allergy Free says
Yum! Greens i would actually eat. 🙂
Sounds delicious! I am going to be growing rainbow chard in my garden this year so I will pin this for later in the spring!
E @ Act Fast Chef says
That looks great, and your picture is awesome.
BTW – paprika is the same as "sweet paprika". At least that is what I have always thought and always used 🙂
Sounds like a great side dish, with lots of color. I need color on my plates!
Your beautiful chard is so making me miss my CSA baskets. So sad. 🙁 We don't have a good CSA here. I have tried to, and ended up with old, unusable vegies half of the time. Your swiss chard looks vibrant, gorgeous and delectable with those mushrooms and paired with that lemon lime chicken….so very delish.
Looks good. I have never tryed chard but will with this recipe!
the starving student says
I love the color of that chard. Along with the mushrooms it sounds like a delish combination!
Sounds fabulous!!!! I would easily do this for my dinner…yum! Hope you've had a nice Valentine's Day~
Words Of Deliciousness says
The color of the chard is beautiful. I love the combination of flavors.
Paula @ Spoons n Spades says
That looks delicious, I love garlic and greens together, such a great combination!
Haven't seen rainbow chard in our markets but I really like how you put this dish together.