Roasted potatoes tossed with lightly caramelized Brussels sprouts and bell peppers and then topped with a generous sprinkling of bacon; this dish was delicious and hearty enough to be dinner all by itself.
There was enough of the potatoes and vegetables leftover the next day for me to enjoy this again for breakfast, topped with a fried egg. I love everything about this meal.
Roasted Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Red Pepper and Bacon
- 5 medium size yukon gold and/or red potatoes about 2 lbs, diced into 1/2"- 3/4" pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts sliced into 2-3 pieces each
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 pound bacon cut into 1/2" pieces, 2 tablespoons grease reserved after cooking
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the potatoes on a silpat lined (or well greased) baking sheet and drizzle them with oil. Toss with your hands to coat and sprinkle generously with about a teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast for 30-35 minutes, stirring once in the middle of that time. (If the potatoes finish before you are ready to add the rest of the vegetables, remove them from the oven and set them on top of the stove for a few minutes.)
- While the potatoes are baking, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Stir as needed, to separate the pieces. Remove the cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Prepare the vegetables and place them in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the vegetables with 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and toss with tongs to coat. Sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper.
- After the potatoes have cooked for 30-35 minutes, add the vegetables to the tray. Stir to combine and spread everything across the tray. Roast for 15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned on the edges. Remove from the oven and top with bacon. Enjoy!