This is a rich and creamy soup filled with an abundance of potatoes, ham, and corn. My sister and I cooked this simple Potato, Ham, and Corn Soup together on a snowy afternoon while we were visiting her family over the holidays.
The weather was windy and cold and I wanted something hearty and warm for lunch. With some leftover ham from Christmas and a few pounds of potatoes, we had a hot lunch on the table in barely half an hour. This soup works well on its own, and its also great when served with a loaf of crusty bread and a salad.
Potato, Ham, and Corn Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced small
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 8 cups milk
- 4 pounds yukon red, or russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound cooked ham chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 24 ounces frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper adjust to taste
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium high heat, add the garlic and onion and saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, thyme, and oregano and stir to coat. Add the milk and cook while whisking for a minute or so.
- Add the potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the ham and corn and cook about 5 minutes longer until the ham and corn are warm. Add salt and pepper, taste, and adjust seasonings as needed. Enjoy!
Here are a few more great potato soups you might like:
Leftover Turkey and Sweet Potato Soup by Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Poblano, Sweet Corn, and Potato Stoup by Iowa Girl Eats
Bacon Potato Soup by TidyMom
Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon Bits by Boulder Locavore
Roasted Corn Potato Chowder by Foodie with Family
Roasted Sweet Potato Soup by Simply Recipes
Smoky Sweet Potato Apple Soup by Bless This Mess