Melted pepper jack cheese topped with green chile over a soft egg on a fluffy biscuit turned out to be a delicious way to start the day. I came up with this combination as I was falling asleep a few nights ago. (doesn’t everyone ponder food combinations late at night?)
I was so happy to have fluffy buttermilk biscuits in the house; I wanted to use them for a fun breakfast. Green chile is always a good thing around my house. I add it to breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on a regular basis. It was a no-brainer to add it to this meal as well.
Pepperjack Green Chile Breakfast Sandwiches
- 4 fluffy biscuits sliced in half
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chile roasted, peeled and chopped small (frozen or canned is fine as well)
- Optional: 4 slices Canadian bacon or thinly sliced ham
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons butter
- Warm a medium-large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and when it has melted, use a spatula to coat the pan with it. Add the eggs, keeping them separate if possible. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cover with lid. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, until the whites are almost cooked. Gently flip them over now* and place a tablespoon of shredded cheese and about a half tablespoon of on top of each egg. Cover again to melt the cheese and finish cooking the eggs for 1-3 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs cooked.
- While the cheese is melting, warm the biscuits and either add the ham slices to the skillet next to the eggs or warm them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Place a slice of ham on each biscuit half and then top with the cheesy eggs. Cover with the second half of the biscuit. Enjoy!
- * if you aren't comfortable flipping the eggs, you can add a tablespoon of water to the skillet and cover again with the lid. This will steam the tops of the eggs without the hassle of flipping them. Once the tops are white, add the cheese and chile.