Penne noodles topped with crisp bacon and sweet onions in a flavorful marinara sauce. This was not a meal that I planned ahead of time, yet it came together very well.
I set my plate by the window at our cabin in order to grab a quick picture before we ate it. Just a few ingredients from the pantry, plus bacon and an onion, this was a delicious impromptu pasta dish. I loved the ease of it.
When we are at the cabin, we’re limited to the foods that we bring with us and I typically plan those meals well in advance. However, when it was time to make dinner, I wasn’t at all in the mood for the meal I had planned.
I like having a small pantry set up at the cabin and the success of this meal has motivated me to bring up a few more staples just for nights like this.
Penne with Bacon Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 lb penne noodles
- 1/2 lb bacon chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 large yellow onion chopped into 1/2” pieces
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper adjust to taste
- Cook the pasta noodles, drain and set aside when finished. While the pasta water is heating, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Drain the bacon on paper towels and set aside. Toss the chopped onion into the bacon grease and sauté until tender and browned. Drain the onions on paper towels. (I simply layered another paper towel over the bacon and placed the onions right over that to drain. I’m all in favor of fewer dishes.)
- Drain the grease out of the pan and then pour the crushed tomatoes into the pan. Add the spices and simmer over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the bacon and onion into the sauce and stir to combine. Serve the sauce poured over the cooked pasta. Enjoy!