Creamy, smooth, fragrantly spiced mashed potatoes were a great side dish to serve with this Herb Rubbed Pork Roast last week. While the pork was cooking, I decided to play with my Garlic Smashed Potatoes recipe.
When the potatoes were steaming and freshly mashed, I added a generous sprinkling of the spices that were still on the counter from the pork roast. We all really liked these potatoes and they were an awesome match for the juicy herb rubbed pork roast.
Paprika and Pepper Mashed Potatoes
- 3 large russet potatoes or about 2 lbs of your favorite variety, peeled and chopped into 1" pieces
- 1/4 cup milk adjust to the thickness you prefer
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- additional butter for topping
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot of water, along with about 1 tablespoon of salt. When the potatoes are fork tender, drain them and then return them to the hot pot on the stove. Over very low heat or a still warm electric burner, mash them, allowing any remaining water to evaporate. Add in the milk, very slowly, as you mash them, using the minimum amount necessary.
- Stir in the butter and all the spices, tasting and adjusting the flavors as you add them. Top with a few tiny pats of butter and a sprinkling of paprika and serve immediately.* Enjoy!
- * If the potatoes need to be held for a while before serving, cover the potatoes
- tightly, with foil directly touching the top of the potatoes. They should stay warm this way for at least 1 hour.