This is comfort food at it’s best. I could have happily eaten just this for dinner myself. Creamy rice with just a hint of tang from the lemon, this was a hit with my entire family.
I served this with some broiled Tilapia and it was a terrific light side dish. I’m already planning to make this again as a main dish with some diced grilled or roasted chicken.
- 5 cups chicken broth if you are using homemade stock, adjust salt according to taste
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion diced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- Optional: 1/2 cup white wine
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 4-6 tablespoons juice from 1 large lemon adjust according to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese Parmesan works as well
- Optional: 2 tablespoons butter
- Warm 5 cups of chicken broth and set aside. Warm the olive oil over medium low heat. Add the onion and saute until tender. Add the rice and saute it for a few minutes until it begins to look clear. Add a splash of wine if desired and saute until it is fully absorbed.
- Continue cooking over medium low heat, slowly adding the warm broth 1/2 a cup at a time. Stirring until the liquid is completely absorbed each time, before adding more. Start checking the rice to see if it is done after about 20-25 minutes.
- When the rice is softened, add the lemon and peas and remove from the heat. I added the peas frozen; the risotto thawed and warmed them in minutes. Stir in the cheese and top with butter if desired. Taste the risotto and adjust seasonings as desired.