Leftover chicken, a couple handfuls of mushrooms and a bell pepper were quickly sauteed in butter and then drizzled with fresh lemon juice and sprinkled with spices. Start the rice cooking first, because this meal will be on the table start to finish in less time than it takes to cook the rice.
I’m taking a moment this morning to just brag on my man. He tossed this meal together using random ingredients in the refrigerator and pantry one night while I was out of town last month. He described it to me and saved a portion for me to try when I returned. It was really really good.
I twisted his arm to actually write the ingredients down after I tasted it. I picked up a rotisserie chicken this weekend, so that he could make this for us again. It was every bit as delicious the second time. Each of my boys ate every bite of this meal AND all three of them requested seconds!
Lemon Butter Chicken with Peppers and Mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 medium crimini or button mushrooms diced small
- 1 very large or 2 small red bell peppers diced small
- 3 cups cooked rotisserie chicken chopped bite size (this was one breast and one thigh)
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice or the juice of one small lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning or your preferred spice mix, this one has a combination of sea salt, mustard seeds, black peppercorns, coriander, onion, garlic, paprika, chili pepper
- Optional: lemon slices for garnish and additional flavor
- Rice for serving
- In a very large skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms, peppers, salt and pepper. Saute about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked and tender. Add the chicken, toss well and saute about a minute (if the chicken is cold from the refrigerator, saute just until it is warm).
- Add the lemon juice and the everyday seasoning. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve the chicken mixture warm over rice and drizzle any extra juices from the pan over the plates. Garnish with additional lemon wedges. Enjoy!