This soup is filled with sweet corn and spicy sausage and then simmered in a fragrant corn stock seasoned with Italian spices. The kitchen smelled fantastic while the soup was on the stove and my whole family voted it two thumbs up.
There was a small amount left for my lunch the following day and it tasted even better after resting in the refrigerator overnight. To give you just one more reason to like it, this meal comes together in under half an hour.
My favorite soups are the ones that can be tossed together without a whole lot of planning ahead of time. If you are still looking for soup inspiration, check out the soups here on the blog for more dinner ideas!
If you don’t happen to have a pile of fresh corn and a stash of corn stock in the refrigerator waiting to be used, the recipe will work
nicely with frozen corn and store-bought or homemade chicken stock.
Italian Corn Soup with Sausage
- 1 lb hot or Italian sausage
- 1 small onion about ½ cup diced small
- 6 ears corn kernels removed, about 3 cups worth
- 3 large carrots about 2 ½ cups diced small
- 2 large celery stalks about 1 ½ cups sliced thin
- 7-8 cups corn stock *
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning mix
- * if you don't have corn stock on hand chicken broth will work also. Don't forget to reduce the salt, if you use a store-bought chicken broth. Start with a teaspoon and add according to taste.
- In a large soup pot, over medium high heat, cook and crumble the sausage. Add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes, until tender. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Enjoy!
- MEAL: Let the soup cool completely before transferring to freeze safe
- containers. Soup can be reheated in the microwave or it can be thawed first and
- then reheated on the stove-top.