Fresh ginger, chili paste, and pineapple are combined in a simple marinade for these tender chicken bites. Tangy and sweet, Huli Huli Chicken Bites have all the flavor of Hawaii’s ever-popular Huli Huli chicken, but with a quicker cooking process to make dinner time even easier.
Huli Huli Chicken Bites
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 3/4" pieces
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or light olive oil
- Optional: green onions thinly sliced (for topping)
- Glaze Ingredients:
- 2- inches fresh ginger sliced into tiny matchsticks
- 2 teaspoons garlic chili paste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- Combine the water, soy sauce, minced garlic, and ginger with the chicken in an airtight container or gallon size zip-close bag. Refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 24 hours.
- Warm a large skillet over medium high heat and add the oil. When the oil is shimmering, drain the marinade off the chicken and add the chicken to the hot skillet. Toss the chicken in the oil, then spread it across the skillet and let it cook for about 30 seconds without stirring. Toss again and continue cooking while stirring the chicken for about 3 more minutes, until mostly cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate next to the stove.
- Place all the glaze ingredients in the skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Add the chicken back to the skillet, trying not to add any liquids that may have accumulated on the plate with the chicken.
- Increase the heat to high. Stir to coat all the pieces and continue tossing the chicken in the sauce for about 1 minute. When the chicken is sticky and well coated, remove from the pan and sprinkle with green onions. Enjoy!
If you're short on time, whisk 2 teaspoons cornstarch with a couple tablespoons water and then add to the glaze ingredients. Simmer for just 2-3 minutes and remove from the heat when it has thickened.
Here are a few more chicken recipes you might like: