Crisp hot waffles filled with bites of ham and melting cheese are a great breakfast option for busy mornings on the go or for a lazy weekend brunch!
My kids declared these Ham and Cheese Waffles the BEST WAFFLES EVER and we’ve already made another double batch of them to keep in the freezer.
Ham and Cheese Waffles proved to be completely and totally irresistible to my whole family this week.
These waffles are a great make-ahead breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Pop the frozen waffles in the toaster, wrap them in a paper towel, and hit the road in the morning.
No syrup is required, although we do enjoy them with a drizzle of syrup as well. The syrup adds a fun sweet note to the savory waffles.
It’s a fairly well-established fact that we are waffle lovers. You’ll find everything from Maple Glazed Doughnut Waffles to Buckwheat Waffles, Light and Fluffy Buttermilk Waffles and Brown Sugar and Spice Waffles to Whole Wheat Zucchini Waffles, Pumpkin Spice Waffles to Banana Nut Waffles, to my Grandmother’s classic Waffles with Waffle Sauce recipes scattered throughout this website.
Side note: If you haven’t tried the Waffle Sauce yet, you are truly missing out. Grab that recipe now and make a plan for this weekend’s breakfast.
My whole family loves waffles. Waffle dinners were a Sunday night tradition for a lot of years and I still think of waffles more often than anything else when it is time for dinner and I don’t have a plan.
And yes, almost all of the waffles mentioned above include both the traditional and the gluten-free recipes.
Here are some more on the go breakfast recipes you might like:
Skinny Omelette Wraps by 101 Cookbooks
Breakfast Casserole Muffin Cups by Barefeet In The Kitchen
Apple Mug Muffins (in 2 minutes!) by Civilized Caveman
Supreme Spinach and Egg Breakfast Sandwiches by Foodie with Family
Ham and Cheese Biscuits by Barefeet In The Kitchen
Breakfast Burritos (make ahead freezer meal!) by Mom on Timeout
Ham and Cheese Waffles
- Preheat the waffle iron. Stir together the dry ingredients. Add the milk and eggs and stir to combine. Add the melted butter and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Stir in the ham and cheese. Pour onto the hot waffle iron and cook until lightly browned. Serve handheld or with a drizzle of maple syrup. Enjoy!
HOW TO FREEZE WAFFLES: Let the waffles cool completely, before storing them in an airtight zip-close bag. Reheat the frozen waffles in a toaster oven or in the microwave.
Ham and Cheese Waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ pound deli ham chopped into 1/2-inch pieces, about 1 ½ cups chopped ham
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese or pre-shredded three cheese blend
- 1⅓ cups brown rice flour
- ⅔ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup potato starch
- Preheat the waffle iron. Stir together the dry ingredients. Add the milk and eggs and stir to combine. Add the melted butter and vanilla and stir to combine. Stir in the ham and cheese. Pour onto the hot waffle iron and cook until lightly browned. Serve handheld or with a drizzle of maple syrup. Enjoy!
- FREEZER MEAL: Let the waffles cool completely, before storing them in an airtight zip close bag. Reheat the frozen waffles in a toaster oven or in the microwave.