Roasted green beans are smothered in a creamy cheese sauce and then broiled until crispy to make this Green Bean Gratin. Barely 15 minutes from start to finish and I was scooping these cheesy beans onto our plates.
There will be plenty of sauce left on the pan, so be sure to pick up some crusty bread to make the most of it!
I love haricot verts (french green beans), if you can find them they are my first choice for this recipe. If you can’t locate them, pick up the thinnest green beans you can find. The thinner green beans tend to be the most flavorful green beans and they roast beautifully.
Green Bean Gratin
Roasted Green Beans Ingredients
- 2 pounds thin french green beans or haricot vert
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated, about 6 ounces
- ¾ cup Monterrey Jack cheese grated, about 4 ounces
- ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
Green Bean Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place an oven rack about 6 inches from the top and another in the center of the oven. Place the green beans on a large-rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss with your hands to coat. Roast the beans on the center rack for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the beans are roasting, melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the flour and whisk it into a paste. Cook over medium heat for about a minute. Whisk in the water and let the sauce simmer over low heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and whisk or stir in ½ cup of the grated Parmesan cheese and all of the Monterrey Jack cheese, continue to stir until the sauce is smooth. Stir in the salt and pepper and adjust as needed. Cover with a lid and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove the green beans from the oven and increase the heat to broil. Toss the beans lightly with tongs (or stir with a large spatula) and pour sauce over them. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Place the green beans back in the oven on the upper rack under the broiler. Broil for 3-4 minutes, watching closely, just until the sauce is bubbling and the beans and sauce are beginning to brown. Serve warm.