Ginger Scallion Turkey Meatballs with a creamy Chili Mayo Dipping Sauce are a great family-friendly dinner that comes together with very little fuss.
I’m excited to be sharing my friend Natalie’s new cookbook with you today. The cookbook is called, The Big Book of Paleo Slow Cooking and it’s certainly a keeper. Whether you follow a Paleo diet or not, this book is full of delicious recipes that the whole family will love.
I already have at least a dozen recipes flagged to try. Are you familiar with Paleo cooking? In a nutshell, that simply means that the recipes will be primarily meat and vegetables, with no dairy or grains.
My love for Sambal Oelek chili paste runs deep, so when I saw this recipe in the cookbook, there was no question of what I’d be making and sharing with all of you.
All of these recipes can be adapted to be made with ingredients you have on hand. As the title states, these are slow cooker recipes, however, in my whirl of travel and school activities this month, I forgot to start these meatballs in the slow cooker in the morning.
Not only was I craving the meatballs already, but I was hungry and didn’t want to wait another minute to make them, so I decided to bake them for our dinner. The meatballs were tender and the flavor from the ginger and onions is a terrific combination. The chili mayo makes for a great dipping sauce and my kids devoured these meatballs almost as fast as I could plate them.
For more recipes that use chili paste, check out my Korean Beef Bulgogi, Huli Huli Chicken Bites, or Sticky Asian Chicken. These Sweet and Spicy Coca-Cola Shredded Pork Bites look fantastic and you can adjust the heat in the chili to your preference. Shrimp Tacos with Jicama Slaw and Avocado Cream are another great way to use the chili paste. Once you have it in the house, you just might find yourself reaching for it frequently.
- Meatball Ingredients:
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 4 scallions or green onions thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced or finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1-3 teaspoons sambal oelek chili paste
- Chili Mayo Ingredients:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 tablespoons samba oelek chili paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, onions, ginger, garlic, salt, and chili paste. Mix everything together with your hands, avoiding over mixing. Use a small 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to portion into 1 1/2 inch balls on 2 baking sheets and then roll each meatball smooth with your hands.
- Bake the meatballs for 18-20 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through. While the meatballs are in the oven, stir together the mayonnaise, chili paste, cilantro, lime, and salt in a small bowl. Refrigerate the sauce until ready to serve.
- Serve the meatballs warm with plenty of dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Cook’s Note: Adjust the amount of chili paste to your liking. For my family, we found that the higher amount listed provided just a moderate amount of heat. If you aren’t a fan of spicy foods at all, use the lesser amount for plenty of flavor with very little heat.
To make this recipe in the slow cooker, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet. Working in batches, sear the meatballs on two sides until golden brown, adding more oil as needed. The meatballs do not need to be cooked through. Transfer the seared meatballs to the slow cooker. Pour 1/2 cup chicken broth over them. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours until cooked through.