Ginger and honey give an awesome twist to the classic burnt sugar almonds that I usually make this time of year.
These are so much healthier with loads less sugar and they turned out even more delicious than the sugared ones everyone loves. These disappeared ridiculously fast!
Ginger and Honey Roasted Almonds
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or another flavorless and odorless oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place the nuts on a large baking sheet in a single layer. Toast in the oven until nuts are fragrant, approximately 15 minutes. While the nuts are roasting, combine the sugar, salt and ginger in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the honey, water and oil and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and add the almonds when they are done in the oven. Cook, stirring every so often, until all the liquid has evaporated and the honey has thoroughly coated the almonds. This should take less than 5 minutes. The almonds should be shiny at this point.
- Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the coated almonds, about a tablespoon at a time. Stir well between each addition. Once all of the sugar is combined with the nuts, toss to combine thoroughly. Spread the warm almonds in a single layer on top of parchment paper or a silpat mat to cool. Use a couple of forks or your fingers to separate the still warm almonds if they clump together while they are cooling.
- Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!