Frozen chocolate and peppermint goodness drizzled with extra chocolate was a deliciously cold treat on a hot summer day. I originally had planned something fancier for our Vintage Recipe Swap.
However, when I wanted a treat for the boys a few days ago, I was inspired to try adding some peppermint to their chocolate.
While a far cry from the original Mint Pie recipe, this drink made all the kids happy and I didn’t even have to turn on my oven. I would have used ice cream and called this a milkshake, but that would have required a trip to the grocery store or the extra time and effort involved in making a batch.
(Are you seeing a pattern here? 106 degrees outside = less than the usual motivation to leave the house or cook.)
Luckily, I have ice cube trays, so I simply made some chocolate milk and froze half of it to create what is basically a chocolate milk smoothie.
Frozen Mint Chocolate Milk
- 2 cups milk
- 2-3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Whisk together the chocolate syrup, the milk and the peppermint extract to taste. Adjust the syrup and extract according to your taste. Keep it fairly sweet, as it won't taste as sweet after it is frozen. Pour half of the chocolate milk into one ice cube tray and freeze for at least 4 hours. Place the rest of the chocolate milk mixture in the refrigerator to chill.
- Once the ice cubes are set, pour the rest of the milk into the blender and add the ice cubes. Puree until thickened and frothy. Pour into glasses, drizzle with chocolate and serve immediately*.
- *The ice milk will start to separate if it sits too long.
11 Comments Leave a comment or review
Yum! That sounds like something even my kids would eat. Simple and good.
You and I both went for a shake! Yours sounds like an absolute delight especially in this heat!
You can't beat a refreshing shake on a hot day – nice swap!
Sue/the view from great island says
This is brilliant, I wish I had thought of it when my kids were younger and eating their weight in ice cream every day. Your real-life creativity is always inspiring.
It is cold now in Melbourne but anything with chocolate even frozen still looks very delicious to me 😀
Perfect for summer.
I'm hosting a giveaway over at my blog and would love for you to stop by and participate.
Looking forward to seeing you there.
I love milk chocolate and it is nice variation. It seems very delicious and lovely… LOVE – Quotes and Wallpapers
Christianna Reinhardt says
Haha! I love this! So simple, yet when it's warm, it hits the spot. Thanks again for an amazing recipe in the swap!
emily | nomnivorous says
Why have I never thought to flavor and freeze milk, and then blend? Like, so simple but so ingenious! I'm using this technique in the future for sure! Great swap!
Becki's Whole Life says
Best. Idea. Ever. This sounds sooo good, Mary – if i wasn't so tired I would get up and make one!
Kim Bee says
This is a fabulous take on the recipe. I love how refreshing it looks. The chocolate drizzle over the top is killing me. Looks way too tempring.