I absolutely love this dish. It is nothing at all like a traditional potato salad and I am a huge fan of a classic potato salad. However, this dish stands alone. There is no mayonnaise and there is no tangy pickle bite. I’ve never tasted anything quite like it. Crisp corn, soft, sweet caramelized onions and tender roasted potatoes are all tossed together with smokey chipotles and dijon mustard to create an unforgettable salad.
I was fortunate to have a few people on hand to test this recipe and the comments I heard were, “wow”, “amazing” and “fantastic”. I have to agree. The flavors in this dish are simply perfect together. I made the original recipe for Charred Corn Mustard as written without the potatoes and we really enjoyed it. However, turning it into a salad with the roasted potatoes created a perfect blend of flavors and textures.
Chipotle Corn and Caramelized Onion Potato Salad
- 4 ears fresh corn shucked with silks removed
- 6 medium size baby red potatoes chopped very small into 1/4" pieces, about 2 1/2 cups
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions very thinly sliced and then roughly chopped into shorter lengths OR 1 cup caramelized onions
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 large chipotle peppers finely minced
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to broil or preheat the grill to medium high. Lightly oil the ears of corn and then grill until lightly charred in places, rotating on the grill throughout the process. If using the oven, broil for 3-5 minutes until the corn begins to darken slightly on the tips. Remove the corn from the oven, flip each ear over and broil for another 3-4 minutes, until both sides are lightly browned. Set the corn aside and let it cool before removing the kernels from the cobs. When cool, remove the kernels and place them in a medium size bowl.
- Set the oven to 425 degrees. Place the diced potatoes on a silpat lined baking sheet, or lightly grease a baking sheet with oil. Drizzle lightly with oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for about 30 minutes, stirring the potatoes once or twice while cooking.
- While the potatoes are in the oven, caramelize the onions. In a large flat bottomed skillet, warm 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the onions and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper and let cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring every so often. When the onions are tender and lightly browned, add the minced garlic and stir for a couple minutes while it cooks. Once it is fragrant, remove from the heat and add the skillet mixture to the corn.
- In a small bowl, stir together the chipotles, the mustard, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt and about 1/2 a teaspoon black pepper. Add this mixture to the corn and onions and stir well to thoroughly coat. When the potatoes are lightly browned and slightly crisp, add them to this mixture and toss to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!